For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
The Linux Server Engineer’s role is to install, manage, monitor and decommission Linux servers across the enterprise while ensuring high levels of availability. This person is also responsible for defining standards and models for server management, as well as developing, implementing and overseeing policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of servers and associated software.
As Linux Engineer, you will have following key accountabilities
- You will be working on the stabilization and standardization of the Linux environment.
- You will be introducing new technologies to further enhance and optimize the Linux environment.
- You will be managing projects for the deployment of new monitoring tools, automation, and orchestration.
- You will be a member of our diverse global team, organizing the technical activities, operations, and project work so your communication and enthusiasm are very important to us.
Now that we have introduced you to the position as Linux Server, what skills, qualifications and experience should you, have?
- Strong Linux system administration experience;
- Strong scripting skills and an understanding of Infrastructure as Code: Design and security, configuration management, integration, deployment, performance monitoring and tuning, automation of infrastructure;
- Strong understanding of server security best practices;
- Experience with templates and other configurable items to enable automation;
- Strong knowledge of automation and configuration management technologies e.g. Hudson and Jenkins;
- Familiarity with deployment techniques (and tools) in a distributed environment;
- Strong knowledge of monitoring tools such as Icinga, Zabbix etc.;
- Basic understanding of relational and non-relational databases;
- Familiarity with messaging and queuing services;
- Strong analytical skills, able to investigate faults and determine root cause issues;
- Strong customer service orientation;
- Strong documentation authoring skills;
- Ability to effectively priorities and execute tasks in high-pressure situations;
- Ability to present complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Linux server engineer in large (1,000+ users) multi-site environments, commissioning and administering physical and virtual servers;
- Extensive experience working in a web operations supporting public facing, mission critical websites;
- Strong experience of supporting of web hosting environments based on Linux;
- Experience of working with an agile development team and familiarity with the agile development framework.
- Experience with building custom RPMs;
- Experience identifying performance issues and optimizing web applications;
- Experience of installation, maintenance, and administration of continuous integration servers and build artefact repositories;
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Experience building and maintaining strong working relationships with other technical teams, including internal infrastructure teams and external service providers, vendors and partners;
- Experience mentoring and providing leadership to junior team members.
- Valid Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) minimum.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!