For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
- You’re a self-starter and you love keeping up to date with the latest developments in cloud and configuration management technologies
- You understand the benefits of an immutable infrastructure and you enjoy enabling self-service deployments through continuous delivery pipelines
- You understand how to work in a team and in an agile environment
- However, you have a head for operations and you know that security, backups, scalability and resilience are a paramount concern
- In fact, you have a keen interest in security and you’re always looking for ways to use infrastructure-as-code to achieve security and compliance at scale
- You understand that costs are a concern for the modern infrastructure engineer and you’re always looking for ways to reduce them
- You thrive in a collaborative DevOps culture and you love to work as part of a cross-functional agile product delivery team alongside developers, data scientists, product owners and technical architects
As a Senior SRE you will have the following key accountabilities
- Work extensively with our cloud environment (AWS), you will be embedded within the product development team to enable them to test and deploy software rapidly whilst ensuring the highest standards of reliability and security
- Influence architectural decisions with focus on security, scalability, cost, high-performance and future development of the technology stack.
- Set up and maintain monitoring, metrics and reporting systems for fine-grained observability
- Set up actionable alerting
- Maintain infrastructure and databases
- Follow up on alerts and investigate actively on issues / performance metrics
- Create and maintain appropriate backups, restore and redundancy solutions for business-critical data
- Support and drive the platform further by taking on ownership of the product
- Take care about sustainability and communication of your solutions
- Leading other junior and external SREs with your experience
Now that you know what the Senior SRE does, what skills, qualifications and experience do you need?
- Expert knowledge in AWS and terraform
- Expert knowledge on the Linux platform
- Deep understanding of networking and TCP/IP
- Demonstrable skills in a Configuration Management tool (we use puppet)
- Strong knowledge and working experience in administrating relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Set up and support CI/CD pipelines (we are using Atlassian Bamboo)
- Good experience in monitoring, log aggregation and alerting tools (like CloudWatch, ELK, icinga, graphite/grafana, Datadog, Opsgenie)
- Experience working in production environments
- Experience working closely together with Developers in a true Devops Environment
- Fluent level of English language, both written and spoken (business language in GfK is English)
It would be a great addition if you have experience or knowledge in
- Experience with Big Data Solutions / Hadoop Ecosystem
- Some experience with Docker
- Some experience in a high level programming language such as .NET, Python or Java
- Some Experience with workflow management / processes like Airflow
Join our team and benefit from the following advantages
- Exciting work environment that brings people together
- Use of the latest cloud technologies
- Initial and ongoing trainings to support your development
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Competitive remuneration and bonus scheme linked to individual performance and company results
- Discount program with external vendors
- easily reachable office location near Warschauer Straße in Berlin
Our world is changing rapidly. In this fast paced world consumers, users, and buyers are calling the shots. Our clients are businesses from around the globe. To make the best possible decisions every day, they need to know what is going on right now and what will happen in the future. We don't have a crystal ball but we love data and science and we understand how to connect the two.
Our vision is to be the indispensable, trusted data and analytics partner for the durable goods and technology industries and respective retailers. Everything we do starts with our clients.
Many say they have big data problems, we do have big data and also big problems to solve. We are digital engineers who apply modern technology and proven practices to solve problems around big data storage, big data processing, machine learning and complex data visualisation.
Help lead the digital transformation of GfK and be an impactful participant in shaping the future of market research and data insight.
People who know best are leading the way this is why GfK means Growth from Knowledge.
The GfK culture
Having choices is what makes life exciting. Make your choice today and take your future into your own hands. We value skills and talent and will support your development within our international teams.
GfK makes your choice easy as we offer an exciting work environment that brings people together and encourages an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. As a trusted leader in market research present in over 100 countries, we know what makes consumers’ hearts beat and how to help our clients grow—globally and locally.
Our culture is diverse and highly collaborative. Our data scientists, creatives, software engineers and product owners all collaborate across different disciplines to develop cutting edge, fully integrated solutions.
- We embrace working in the team: we build on trust, collaboration and open feedback
- We foster diversity: this is more than a mix of gender, culture, ethnicity and languages for us. It is the inclusion of different thinking, experiences, expertise and backgrounds across all businesses and organizational levels
- We believe in a healthy work-life balance: we offer flexible & remote working, agile environments & hot desking, break out spaces, socials, activities, table tennis and amazing views!
- We are committed to providing you with opportunities to develop both professionally and personally through local, regional and global programs - we help our colleagues grow and runway their careers
Things you should know about us
We are the Technology and Data division of GfK we live and breathe technology. We are a multi cultural, deeply talented team with members distributed across Europe - our major hubs are in the UK, Germany and Bulgaria. We love technology our tech stack stands as a testament to that: We are building cloud native applications with Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Java, Spring and more. We are agile and our focus is on constant improvement in our processes and ways of working and above all ourselves. We embrace change, we put our egos aside and take advice from others. We foster an engaged, open mindset within a non-hierarchical structure. We analyse, create, innovate and improve.
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer is the third level position on the Site Reliability Engineer Career Path.
This role builds on the standard Site Reliability Engineer and includes all the skills and experience listed there.
Additionally, the SRE is expected to have advanced in areas such as troubleshooting, security and architecture.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!