We show the world what people want.
Join GfK and help us shape tomorrow. As an NIQ company, we are the world's leading consumer intelligence firm, delivering the Full View™ on consumer behavior. We work to enable manufacturers and retailers better understand what consumers really want. Our name has inspired trust for over 89 years because we take pride in discovering new pathways to sustainable growth for our clients, our people, and our planet.
We are always looking for open-minded people who will grow with us, push boundaries, and pioneer disruptive methods in market research, data science, technology, and AI. If you share this passion to drive things forward and the integrity to insist on doing things the right way, we'll equip you to take your future into your own hands and play a leading role in our story.
As a Senior Software Engineer with GfK based in London, you will be provided with a great opportunity to work as part of an agile feature team of technologist within the GfK product ecosystem. Specifically, you will work in a squad (mixing other developers, SREs, UI/UX designers, Product Owners, and Product Managers) dedicated to a project for the GfK Client Platform. For this opening you will be part of the Platform Services, the teams that looks after authentication and authorisations (subscriptions) for the whole platform.
You would initially help us in our migration phase from some of our current internal and external services and splitting some of our core applications into Microservices. Therefore, this role would require someone with a more focussed backend experience with Databases and data modelling.
This opening would suit either a Node.js or a Java backend engineer as the project consists of the mix. That said, a good grasp of SQL and data analysis techniques is crucial for this role as you will lead data transformation, schema design and query read/write optimisation efforts.
You will report to the Platform Services Tech Lead and work with your product counterpart, the Principal Product Manager for the Domain alongside the Domain Architect.
- 5 years+ working experience of databases and SQL
- 5 years+ working experience of Microservices and RESTful APIs
- Experience analysing DB query plans (execution plan)
- Experience optimising SQL Read/Write queries
- Knowledge in TDD and unit testing
- Experience with Design Patterns and Object-Oriented design
- Solid computer science/engineering fundamentals, including data structures and algorithms
- Experience with Source-Control systems, CI/CD pipelines and containerisation
- Experience with a Google Cloud Platform (GCP). If you have experience with other cloud providers, you can pick up GCP with us
- Aninterest in helping other engineers become even better
It would be nice you have:
- Experience with enterprise web-applications
- No-SQL Databases such as MongoDB and Search indexes such as Elasticsearch or Solr
- Experience building Single Page Applications
- Google Cloud or similar could platforms
- Experience of micro-services at scale
- An understanding of Unix systems
- Experience in Agile development like SAFe
- Wear a Scrum Master hat from time to time
- Utilise TDD, that is a test first approach in writing unit and integration tests
- You would analyse Postgres query plans (execution plan)
- You would improve Postgres Read/Write queries performance
- Identify and address application and data issues that affect application integrity.
- Fix any defects and performance problems discovered in testing.
- Suggest projects (e.g. training) that improve working efficiency and quality.
- Work with the architects and an Agile team to influence the system architecture and performance goals.
- Contribute to Agile practices, such as estimating and planning.
- Collaborate well with team members
- Document technical effort from time to time
- Exciting work environment that brings people together
- Use the latest digital technologies
- Ongoing trainings to support your development
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Great compensation and bonus scheme linked to individual performance and company results
- Flexible working hours and home office
We are an ethical and honest company that is wholly committed to its clients and employees. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace for all and are committed to equal employment opportunity, focusing on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
We respect and value every employee regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, personality, experience, culture, faith, socio-economic status, or physical or mental disabilities.
We endorse the core principles and rights set forth in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights and the Social Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, promoting the universal values of human dignity, freedom, equality, and solidarity.
Learn more about how we are driving diversity and inclusion in everything we do on: https://www.gfk.com/about-gfk/diversity-and-inclusion
At GfK we work collaboratively with our colleagues but offer a flexible working approach, including dividing our time between office & remote working as well as the opportunity to flex our working hours around team core hours.
Don't meet every single requirement? Some people are less likely to apply unless they meet all the requirements listed in a job specification. GfK is looking for self-starters to join our innovative team keen to take on a new challenge. So, if you're excited about this role but your skills and experience don't align perfectly with every requirement we've listed, we still encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.