For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
You are a passionate software engineer who knows the ins and outs of software engineering and how it fits the broader SDLC. Modelling the world, thinking in terms of design patterns, object oriented design, functional programming, test driven development are your second nature. You have written several applications from scratch, many are still in production to the delight of their users. You enjoy working in a team of like minded professionals and keen to provide feedback on other's code as well as act on feedback received on yours. You are used to working in agile teams delivering small, incremental improvements through continuous delivery pipelines. You are proud of the quality, security and robustness of the code you write, and because you write your code with an in depth understanding of the execution environment these qualities translate to the systems
you implement as well.
As Principal Software Engineer (JAVA) you will have the following key accountabilities:
- Lead an agile team of 5-6 Java Software engineers
- Be hands on, we expect you to be able to write code
- Coordinate with different roles and teams outside of your own responsibility
- Own features and drive them to delivery end to end
- Have a good overall picture of current and future developments and risks
- Provide solutions to problems across your functional areas
- Help to create software that is scalable, testable, maintainable and of high quality
- Coach and mentor other engineers
Now that you know what a Principal Software Engineer (JAVA) does, what skills, qualifications and experience do you need?
- 5-7+ years of commercial software development experience
- Good English skills (at least B1)
- Deep architectural understanding of web applications
- Expertise in using of GoF Design patterns
- Experienced in JAVA
- Experienced in Spring framework
- Experienced in SQL (MS SQL or Sybase or MySQL or PostgreSQL or any other relational database)
- In-depth knowledge of REST API or similar
- Knowledge of Angular, TypeScript, HTML5, CSS3
- In-depth experience working with static code analysis and linting tools (SonarQube, SonarLint etc.)
- Comprehensive automated testing experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines.
- Experience with containerization with Docker.
- Knowledge of CI/CD processes
Very good knowledge of Git Join our team and benefit from the following advantages:
- Exciting work environment that brings people together
- Use of the latest digital technologies
- Initial and ongoing trainings to support your development
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Competitive remuneration and bonus scheme linked to individual performance and company results
- 3 additional non-working days annually
- Health insurance
- Discount program with external vendors
All documents will be treated in the strictest confidentiality.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
We are an ethical and honest company that is wholly committed to its clients and employees. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace for all and are committed to equal opportunity in employment which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential. At GfK we work collaboratively with our colleagues but offer a flexible working approach, including dividing our time between office & remote working as well as the opportunity to flex our working hours around team core hours.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to get to know you!