Möchten Sie zur deutschen Seite wechseln?JaNeina
Share this page
Press release
Media and Entertainment|Crossmedia Link|Singapore|English

Over 9 in 10 online users in Indonesia access the internet via their smartphone

Jakarta, 23.03.2016

Majority of time spent online is through mobile apps; Blackberry Mobile Messenger hands down the most popular app


The deepening penetration of smartphones is slowly but surely fast tracking the digitization process of the fourth most populous nation in the world. Today, the emerging market of Indonesia has over 88 million internet users* with more than 9 in 10 (93%) regularly going online with their smartphones. 

According to GfK’s point of sales tracking, smartphone sales volume in the country surpassed that of basic feature phones in 2014 to become the more dominant mobile handset type. Last year, nearly 33 million units of smartphones were snapped up by consumers in the country. 

“Now, with the multitude of affordable and readily available devices market and the necessary infrastructural support, a growing number of consumers here are finally playing catch up with the developing economies and lapping up the whole online experience,” said Guntur Sanjoyo, Managing Director of GfK in Indonesia. 
The Crossmedia Link study by GfK showed that nearly two in every three (64%) consumer in the cities of Jakarta, Bodetabek, Bandung Surabaya and Semarang form the country’s online population. Over half (51 percent) falls between 13 and 27 years of age, and there are more males (56 percent) than females (44 percent). 

GfK Crossmedia Link tracks consumer behaviour across several screens, including smartphones, tablets, and desktops. A representative panel for the five key cities in Indonesia is currently being tracked for their digital behavioural patterns.

“Our study reveal that Indonesia has a very active online population who spend an average of 5.5 hours a day accessing an average of 46 apps and web domains with their mobile device each day,” highlighted Sanjoyo. “With the availability and accessibility to other connected devices; it is natural that consumers are relying on not just their smartphone, but also one or even two other devices to go online.”

While the majority (93%) accesses the internet via their smartphones, the other platforms used to go online, albeit to a lower level are desktops (11 percent) and tablets (5 percent). Once online, consumers here spend 95 percent of their time using mobile apps, with the remaining 5 percent constituted by mobile web browsing. With mobile apps dominating consumers’ online time spent, GfK’s Crossmedia Link also examined the usage details of mobile apps.

The latest GfK Crossmedia Link findings reported Blackberry Mobile Messenger (BMM), Google Playstore and Google Search as the top three mobile phone apps, installed by 92, 87, and 70 percent respectively of smartphone owners in the key cities of Indonesia. When it comes to usage frequency and duration, BMM is ranked the highest, surpassing all other mobile apps by a huge margin. In the month of December, this app was used 518 times for an average of 652 minutes per user. Other apps which also made it to the top ten list in Indonesia were Whatsapp Messenger, Youtube Watch page, LINE, Facebook, Gmail and Instagram.

“This transformation process towards digitization in Indonesian is taking shape slowly but surely, and we need to constantly remind ourselves that unlike before, communicating effectively with the mobile and connected modern consumers of today is a whole new ball game,” said Sanjoyo. “With this in mind, it is imperative for advertisers to revise their focus from product to customer centric as they start centering their advertising strategies and engaging their consumers around the mobile platform,” he concluded. 

Note: *Source: Indonesian Internet Service Provider Association (APJII) research for 2014

About GfK Crossmedia Link

GfK Crossmedia Link provides reliable single source cross media data that effectively supports cross media audience measurement and strategic media planning for global and local media groups. This will allow brands and advertisers to better target, monitor, and evaluate their ad campaigns using more in-depth profiling, and also evaluate campaign effectiveness across different media.  In Indonesia, Crossmedia Link is based on passive digital monitoring combined with diary inputs for TV, radio and print measurement. 

Contact us
Seraphina Wee