GfK releases new digital maps for 16 countries in North and South America
2015 GfK map editions for North and South America: up-to-date geodata on municipalities, postcodes and topographic features
GfK has released new map editions for 16 countries in North and South America. The digital maps render the current administrative and postcode boundaries and provide the basis for location-related analyses in geomarketing software and BI systems.
GfK has updated its digital map editions for 16 countries in North and South America. The maps have been supplemented with numerous regional levels. The detail level has also been increased, particularly along coastlines and in cities.
"Precise boundary data is the backbone of all location-based analyses," explains Klaus Dittmann, head of cartography in GfK's Geomarketing solution area. "Our detailed, up-to-date map editions for the key markets in North and South America allow users to correctly geocode all address-based data.“
GfK digital maps support BI, geomarketing and risk analysis applications and are used by representatives of all branches, from retail to reinsurance.
GfK's digital maps are available in all standard map formats, including *.shp (ESRI), *.tab (MapInfo), *.lay (RegioGraph) and Oracle Spatial. All maps are vector-based and consequently offer infinite zoom and flexible viewing options. All of GfK's maps include dual-language attributions of all map objects in both Latin characters and the native language characters.
There have been thousands of changes to the postal and administrative levels of North and South America over the past five years.
GfK has also introduced a new city classification scheme for all 16 North and South American countries: 100,000-500,000; 500,000-1 mil.; 1-5 mil. and more than 5 mil.
In addition to maps of postal and administrative levels, the country editions also include topographic details such as streets, bodies of water and city points categorized by number of inhabitants.
- first-ever map of the 118 three-digit postcodes
- updated map of the current 525 departamentos
- There are two new regions and 45 name changes among the 339 municipalities.
- Bolivia is one of the few countries in the world without a postcode system.
- Due to the addition of five new municipalities, there are now 5,570 regions; maps are also available for the 558 micro- and 137 mesoregions as well as the 27 federal states.
- There were various changes to the approximately 100 two-digit postcodes.
- All postcode maps have been completely overhauled, including the 3,641 three-digit postcodes.
- Minor changes to the 345 municipalities and 345 three-digit postcodes
- The postcode maps have been completely redigitized using new foundational data.
- Several boundary changes among the 224 cantons
- With the addition of a new municipality, the country now has a total of 1,123 municipalities.
- 33 two-digit postcodes
- Among the 2,475 municipalities, there are one new municipality, 20 name changes and multiple boundary changes.
- Many boundary changes among the 96 two-digit postcodes
- New postcode structure with 356 four-digit postcodes
- Districts: currently 251 regions (19 new, 5 dissolved, many boundary changes)
- New map of the two-digit postcodes
- Forty name changes among the 195 provinces
- Five-digit postcodes (ZIP Codes): 176 dissolved, 7 new, 88 name changes
- New map of the 125 five-digit postcodes
- Several name changes among the 336 municipalities
- 25 two-digit postcodes
Also included are maps for the countries Surinam, Guyana and French Guiana.
Additional information on GfK's digital maps can be found at
Print-quality illustrations can be found here.
GfK is the trusted source of relevant market and consumer information that enables its clients to make smarter decisions. More than 13,000 market research experts combine their passion with GfK’s long-standing data science experience. This allows GfK to deliver vital global insights matched with local market intelligence from more than 100 countries. By using innovative technologies and data sciences, GfK turns big data into smart data, enabling its clients to improve their competitive edge and enrich consumers’ experiences and choices.
Additional information can be found at www.gfk.com.
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/gfk.
Responsible under press legislation / V.i.S.d.P.
GfK GeoMarketing GmbH
76646 Bruchsal; Germany
T+49 7251 9295 100