For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
The Principal Architect is the pinnacle level of the career path requiring extensive knowledge and experience enabling holders of the title to solve the most complex and difficult software architecture problems. Having a solid understanding on how value creation for Media Measurement's clients is realized and ideally hands-on experience with the media currency business, the principal architect is the person to drive the creation and continuous development and refinement of the software architecture strategy for Media Measurement. While the main focus of this job is high level CSG architecture and consultancy with the technical leadership group as well as product management and stakeholders of Media Measurement, the principal architect will also closely work with development teams, help with their decision making and drive the implementation of architectural best practices through the teams.
Beyond the core MM scope the Principal Architect is seeking to actively support the GfK Technology & Data objective to become a 'Strategic partner to the other GfK functions' and involves themselves into decision making on cross-CSG integration efforts and opportunities. Immediately relevant CSGs with synergies of overlap are NetQuest and Consumer Panel.
The Principal Architect reports into the Head of Engineering for Media Measurement (or potentially directly into the VP Tech MM/ NetQuest). The holder of the title is also part of the global architecture community run by the VP of Engineering & Architecture. The Principal Architect is expected to organize and run the architecture community within MM and to regularly interface with other (global) functions like security, quality, MM panel management and operations, and product management.
The required roles to be taken on by the principal architect for Media Measurement are implicitly
the practice lead for architecture and the System Architect for the MM SAFe Agile Release
Train role. Other roles are possible but not a strict requirement. Taking on the role Chapter
Lead is also not strictly required but would help (ie have senior architects report into this
position) in order to support with the continuous agile transformation of the organization.
Qualification and Expectations
Area/Role Expectations/ Evidence of Aptitude
Solves significantly complex or endemic problems. Architectures are
exemplary in terms of robustness, stability, scalability, cost-effectiveness
Influences business and technology direction at CSG level and potentially
beyond. Aligns teams toward simple, coherent designs. Actively develops
other Architects in the group and outside.
Sets the standard for Architecture practices, test, and operational excellence,
drives best practices across CSG organization
Understands organization architecture at CSG level. Influences
priorities/trade-offs. Applies knowledge to invent, evolve, improve,
Works on large-scale architecture. Uses broad expertise or unique
knowledge to impact systems and how entire CSG tech organization
Successfully launches products with significant complexity or that improve
larger architecture deficiencies. May require multiple Architects to execute
Architectural strategy is not defined. May not even know what the problem
is before starting. Delivers with complete independence
Head of Engineering, CSG Tech VP, VP of Architecture, CTO and Broader
• Maintain an always current overview on the subsystems of Media Measurement and their interfaces both within the system landscape and also externally
• Extend, maintain and communicate the architectural vision and roadmap for MM to the teams and stakeholders
• Ensure the readiness and proper prioritization of technical features/enablers (in contrast to business features) for the MM Agile Release Train. In this capacity there is also a need for a strong alignment with other functions and lead engineers from QA, SRE, Engineering to improve on aspects of quality control, CI/CD procedures, infrastructure rollout etc.
• Provide architectural guidelines and best practices and consult teams on the application thereof
• Foster a development culture of built-in quality and security for all aspects of product delivery (infrastructure, application, data management)
• Stay up to date in terms of technical developments which can improve the efficiency or effectiveness of MM products
• Organizes and runs the architecture community within MM, namely the System Architecture CoP which acts as the main committee for architectural decision making within Media Measurement
• (Addional/ Optional) Act as a Solution/ Information Architect in consulting both internal stakeholders (business development and product management teams) as well as occasionally external clients on feasibility and effort of solution creation.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!