For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
The Principal Software Test Engineer is a technical quality expert working closely with the software engineers and test engineers to enable and encourage them to design and implement tests in an efficient way, by providing them with the right tools, frameworks, and guidance.
Principal Software Test Engineer cares about quality and knows what it means to ship high quality code. A strong enough developer to write feature code, strong enough tester to test just about anything, and a strong advocate for maintaining a high quality bar.
The incumbents in this position are used to working in agile teams and have helped development teams to iterate rapidly and deploy code several times each day while remaining confident in their test infrastructure providing short feedback loops on newly introduced features.
Software testing processes
- Driving the team to develop features in a sustainable manner, using the most appropriate tools and techniques.
- Build and maintain tooling for test development, coverage and reporting thereby ensuring visibility of the quality for team's products
- Provide technical advice and guidance to agile teams around test strategies for both manual and automated tests
- Pairing with developers to help them build features with automated tests that cover all acceptance scenarios
- Drive improvements in automated test coverage across the test hierarchy (unit, integration etc.)
- Engage with the wider testing community at GFK to share knowledge and help implement strategic improvements
- Maintain an understanding of industry testing tools/patterns/frameworks/processes and presenting back to the wider Gfk testing community
- Work hands-on with teams when they require guidance and QA leadership
- Helping teams to adopt CI/CD practices that will enable them to release with confidence
- Leading and mentoring other software test engineers across the teams, as needed
Software development tools
Expert understanding of CI principles
The ability to implement CI pipelines from scratch
- Expert in designing and architecting solutions for performance testing, component level testing, stubbing, tools POC and monitoring
The ability to spot shortcomings of tooling and enhance automation and process adherence through enhancing tooling
The ability to rapidly implement PoCs and evaluate suitability for the problem space
Technologies and standards
Expert understanding of the technology stack of the applications the development team of the individual is responsible for
Understanding of application packaging and delivery mechanisms
Skilled in using a variety of testing tools at all levels in the testing pyramid
- Skilled in non-functional test tools such as JMeter, Blazemeter, Gatling, Stormrunner etc.
- Solid API and Web Services testing skills (REST, WebAPI)
- Skilled in Robot Framework and Silenium
- Expert in JUnit or equivalent test development
Expert understanding of distributed source control (Git/Stash)
The accountabilities of a principal software test engineer are largely the same as the accountabilities of a senior software test engineer but increased norms apply. Examples of expected extra accountabilities are:
- Principal Engineers are expected to spot both risks and opportunities (technical, process or other) and have the skill set to immediate or exploit accordingly.
- Principal Engineers are expected to drive topics / meetings / discussions within the communities of practice and take ownership for the health of the community.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!