For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
A leading goal for Architects is to foster a sustainable and consistent development of efficient and high-quality software throughout the whole sub-program, even if there is no dedicated Architect on team or squad level.
Form a methodology point of view, the Architect guides the teams to live up to the centrally and commonly defined methodology of Software Architecture and this guidance is mainly driven by example.
In order to not lose track on a day to day business of a software engineer, every Architect is additionally a member of a squad (naturally taking architectural responsibility in that squad) and therefore experiences the adoption of their own architecture and design.
A core aspect of an agile engineering culture is involvement which means that Software Architects on a sub-program level work and contribute their opinion and expertise within existing cross sub-program acting communities of practice.
Finally, the Architect works tightly together with the program and sub-program key-roles in order to create and keep a suitable technology and architecture strategy up to date, which takes all necessary information of the sub-program into account, and uses direct connections to shape the targeted vision with collected knowledge, experience, and feedback.
An Architect on the one hand is working as a squad member in a squad where interaction with other Squad Members and the Squad Lead is required.
For the strategy and the targeted direction of the domain the Architect is working tightly together with the Software Architect on a program level, other Architects, but also with Tech-Leads and all other squad members in the sub-program. The collaboration with the Delivery-Lead, the DataScience-Lead, the Product Management, and the delegate from Operations gives the Architect the opportunity to see the whole picture.
Basically, the Architect has no limit in collaboration - the more the better. With participating in communities of practice the Architect has the possibility to come in touch with nearly every other software engineer or other role’s expertise and opinion.
- Senior Software Development Skills.
- Strong and practiced Software Architecture Skills - and therefore a good understanding of software development processes, requirements engineering, configuration management, testing and deploying, and business understanding.
- A good feeling for balancing work on a day to day basis as participant of a squad and on the broad scope of the whole program or sub-program level.
A typical day or week in the role:
As a squad member the Architect is partaking in the typical SAFe and Scrum ceremonies and is working on dedicated working packages. It sounds reasonable that the Architect is responsible for architectural deliverables within that dedicated squad. For which it therefore makes sense that the Architect inhabits the squad with a great significance in the sub-program. The Architect regularly checks on other squads in the same sub-program and keeps track of activities and discussions related to the Architects responsibility. Basically, this interconnection with all other squads, the Architect gets a good overview of building blocks of the sub-program, their dependencies, their state and health, and most important the taken decisions or decisions to be taken in the future. The information from the Architect’s sub-program will regularly be forwarded to the program level to sharpen or detailing the overall strategy. If some technical decisions are on the way the architect gets closely together with the Tech-Lead of the sub-program to find a suitable solution - additionally with the consultancy of communities of practice or other Architects. In case of a needed change of the program strategy, the Architect gets in touch with the program level architecture and other Architects immediately to take new events into account as soon as possible.
Your specific tasks will include:
- Work closely with Sr. and principal Architects to align globally defined technical and architectural principals/strategy within the system you are supporting and setup processes to measure the adoption of these.
- Work with Product owners and Product managers to understand the product requirements and help resolve ambiguity and edge cases and translate these user requirements into high level tech architecture which can be picked by engineering team.
- Write code for some complex proof of concepts as and when needed and work closely with team to solve tricky or hard to identify/solve issues.
- Do regular design (HLD, LLD) reviews with other engineers and be the tie breaker in case of conflicts around which technical approach or tool is best fit.
- Do regular code reviews and establish effective processes to ensure the code quality is always high and aligned with Technical Architecture of the system.
- Help team to adopt new technologies and approaches wherever they can add value using pragmatic approach.
- Create and own NFR roadmap of the System/Sub-System and work with product team to get these prioritized in healthy way.
- You will be accountable for the architecture maturity of mid-sized single system or a sub system within bigger system.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!