For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
Principal Data Engineer (Science Platform team)
As the Principal Data Engineer in the Science Platform team, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of numerous complex data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems.
At this level, you will:
- recognise and share opportunities to re-use existing data flows across your team
- be responsible for the build of data-streaming systems
- coordinate the and set the teams data engineering best practice and standards
- apply knowledge of systems integration to both the teams and your work
- champion data engineering across the organisation
Skills needed for this role:
- Communication skills (data). You can listen to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret them. You know how to manage stakeholder expectations. You are flexible and capable of proactive and reactive communication. You know how to facilitate difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
- Data analysis and synthesis. You understand and can help teams apply a range of techniques for data profiling. You can source system analysis from a complex single source. You can bring multiple data sources together in a conformed model for analysis.
- Data development process. You know how to establish enterprise-scale data integration procedures across the data development life cycle and ensure that teams adhere to these. You can manage resources to ensure that data services work effectively at an enterprise level.
- Data innovation. You can identify areas of innovation in data tools and techniques, and recognise appropriate timing for adoption.
- Data integration design. You know how to establish standards and you know how to keep those standards up to date and ensure adherence to them. You keep abreast of best practice in industry.
- Data modelling. You understand the concepts and principles of data modelling and can produce relevant data models. You know how recognising opportunities for re-use and alignment between the data models in different organisations. You can design the method to categorise data model within the organisation.
- Metadata management. You can design an appropriate metadata repository and present changes to existing metadata repositories. You understand a range of tools for storing and working with metadata. You can provide oversight and advice to more inexperienced members of the team.
- Problem resolution (data). You can ensure that the most appropriate actions are taken to resolve problems as they occur. You know how to coordinates teams to resolve problems and implement solutions and preventative measures.
- Programming and build (data engineering). You know how to use agreed standards and tools to design, code, test, correct and document moderate-to-complex programs and scripts from agreed specifications and subsequent iterations. You can collaborate with others to review specifications where appropriate.
- Technical understanding (data engineering). You have the detailed knowledge and understanding of the technical concepts required for the role. You know how these fit into the wider technical landscape.
- Testing. You can review requirements, specifications and define test conditions. You can identify issues and risks associated with work while being able to analyse and report test activities and results.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to getting to know you!