How Facebook advertising works with traditional media
GfK helps Facebook to understand and demonstrate the impact of a multimedia advertising campaign.
Founded in 2004, and with over 860 million people using the social networking site every day, Facebook has grown into a major above-the-line advertising medium.
Facebook’s client, Mercedes-Benz, was launching its new GLA model in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. To ensure the success of the campaign, Facebook and its client needed to determine:
- which media, used together with Facebook, provide the best combined results
- which KPIs would be most affected by Facebook advertising
- what role frequency plays in multimedia campaigns that include the social channel
- We used our cookie and tag sampling solution – GfK Exposure Effects – to track which consumers were exposed to which advertisements, and how frequently
- Opportunity To See analytics allowed us to establish who was exposed to offline media, irrespective of whether they recalled seeing the advertisements
- The data put us in a strong position to investigate the effect of Facebook as an above-the-line (ATL) advertising medium
- Facebook could, for the first time, talk to Mercedes-Benz about the synergistic effects of using the channel in conjunction with offline media
- Mercedes-Benz benefited from insights to guide future campaign planning
- Facebook could help Mercedes-Benz optimize its media strategy and scheduling for each market, positioning Facebook as an expert in multimedia ATL advertising.